Winery

I started fooling around with shirring some canvas over a piece of a garden hose and also a power cord from a desktop computer a while back. The resulting canvases have become part of a series inspired by the local winery. I highly recommend you try some of what they produce.

Here’s the initial shirring – the canvas was tucked over and under the hose and electrical cord and a running stitch was pulled tight. This took some time and a lot of pushing canvas pleats and pulling the thread (dental floss)… and more painful reminders that I really should use a thimble… especially difficult in the hairpin turns. I had a few things in mind for these, and I wanted to see if I could use this technique to get a strong rhythmic pattern through some meandering curves.

I dyed on one side and along the shirring with a relatively strong fuchsia, and a dilute green on the other first. I decided the fuchsia was far to intense and went over the whole of both pieces with the green a few minutes into the process. The fuchsia “strikes”, or binds to the fibers in the chemical reaction with the soda ash I prepared the canvas with, faster than the turquoise or yellow I used to mix the green. So even though this looks very dark, I knew I would end up with something closer to a red violet on the majority of the piece, especially on the ridges of the folds with the green traveling into the valleys before setting up in the fibers.

I waited about 30 minutes, poured the excess dye out of the container holding the canvases and went back over the tops of the shirring with a very strong fuchsia. Most of the other colors have run off into the recesses of the canvas at this point while most of what is visible is a magenta color.

Everything set overnight until dry, then I removed the stitching. I splattered some thiourea dioxide solution on the smaller piece before heat setting with an iron. here are the resulting two canvases.

the smaller canvas became this painting
Mines Wines Oil 16″x16″

The second is still in process. I went over to the winery earlier this week to sketch and got some very rough work done because I was sharing my attention with one of the owner’s dogs. Once I started petting him, he was very persistent in keeping me from doing much serious work – OK because the sketches are to help me to commit things to memory, I won’t refer to them directly while I paint. Here’s the sketch and an overlay on the canvas. I digitally desaturated the colors a bit because the gesso I prime with is more translucent than transparent and tones things down a bit.

The canvas is queued up for paint with several other works in progress.

Advertisements
Gallery | This entry was posted in My environment, Work in Progress and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Winery

  1. Your dying of the canvas has always fascinated me. I love how Mines Wines turned out. Beautiful!

  2. Carolyn Schiffhouer says:

    You do some of the most amazing things! I love how both of these came out…the texture is wonderful!

  3. Pingback: EBSQ Friday Five « EBSQ: Art Meets Blog v2.0

  4. Chelsea Rose says:

    Caroline, Love the painting! The dyed canvas in and of itself is beautiful too… It looks like a magnified/abstracted flower! -Chelsea

  5. Charlean says:

    Lia and I were fascinated by the process and we all love Mines Wines

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s